L-carnitine (levocarnitine, carnitine) is a bioactive substance that is structurally similar to B vitamins. According to its chemical composition, it is an amino acid. Endogenous synthesis of levocarnitine occurs in the liver and kidneys with the participation of lysine and a donor of methyl groups – methionine. The synthesis of this substance is impossible without the participation of vitamin C, group B, folic acid and iron.
Products and l-carnitine
The sources of amino acids (lysine and methionine) are the food that is ingested and the proteins in the muscle tissue itself. However, only 100 to 300 mg of this drug a day comes from the diet, while an adult of average build should consume 300 to 600 mg of carnitine during this period. With increased energy costs, various diseases, pregnancy, the need increases 5-10 times and amounts to 2000 mg or more.
The liver produces 25% of the daily intake of the substance, the rest of the L-carnitine a person receives from products:
- fish (red, rich in amino acids and PUFAs – Omega-3)
- meat of domestic animals and wild animals, poultry;
- dairy products, including cheeses;
There is a problem for the physical condition – the low bioavailability of pure levocarnitine with food (only 5-15%). So how do you take L-carnitine? For athletes to increase the amount of substance by 10%, it is necessary to consume up to 4 g of carnitine from food and supplements.
It is possible to stimulate a more effective intake of the drug if combined with carbohydrates (21% increase in the pool) This combination is suitable for swimmers, marathon runners and athletes accustomed to eating carbohydrates.
What are the inherent properties of L-carnitine?
Today, the properties of this drug have been studied enough. They are used by ordinary people, athletes and people who dream of losing weight. Carnitine:
- it has anabolic and cytoprotective effects. Accelerates tissue regeneration, promotes the growth of muscle mass and muscle strength, improves performance;
- increases the body’s resistance by converting fat into energy;
- improves memory and mental ability, reduces manifestations of depression and pain;
- optimizes reproductive function, stimulates spermatogenesis.
- improves visual function – inhibits dystrophic changes in fibrous vessels;
- uses “slag” and toxic metabolites that accumulate in the cells during oxidation of fat;
- reduces the formation of lactic acid;
- helps supply oxygen to the heart muscle;
- slows aging.
During the acid transport process, fats are not burned. There is only one supply of energy to the muscle cells. Therefore, it should be remembered that L-carnitine for weight loss is used only with regular and intense exercise.
About the benefits of L-carnitine
L-carnitine is involved in universal biochemical processes in the body. This property allows us to talk about it as a useful supplement and to use it in the widest range of medicines, including cosmetology and the sports field. It is worth talking about the benefits of L-carnitine and why it is necessary.
Carnitine for the heart
- as an antioxidant, it protects heart cells from ischemia, hypoxia and the effects of stress;
- lowers blood cholesterol levels.
- increases the rate of lipid degradation;
- prevent the formation of blood clots;
- improves cardiomyocyte metabolism and preserves ATP stores.
Carnitine for the brain
- it has antidepressant properties, increases the effect of serotonin;
- improves memory, attention, increases the ability to learn.
- increases resistance to emotional stress and overload;
- improves sleep.
Carnitine preparations in sports medicine
- maintain an optimal physiological state and supply the muscles with the necessary energy during intense physical exertion;
- increase efficiency and endurance during training.
- increase muscle mass through the use of fat depots;
- For the body as a whole, L-carnitine will give you energy for the whole day, create a good mood and increase self-confidence.
How to take L-carnitine
For each person, the dilemma of how much and how to take L-carnitine should be decided strictly individually, depending on their own energy consumption: the higher the energy consumption, the higher the dose of the substance used.
It is worth following some rules for taking levocornitil:
- For athletes, the daily dose is 2000 mg.
- Any liquid form of the drug implies that it is used in 40 minutes. before playing sports.
- The tablet (capsule) is taken with breakfast.
- The liquid form of the drug is sold in bottles, in the form of syrup (it must be diluted with water) or in ampoules. Schedule of use: 3 times a day, including one before training. The dose for athletes is 15 ml, the rest – 5 ml. Do not abuse the supplement for more than a month and a half.
- Children drink the drug for 30 days in the amount of 25 drops (2.5 mg carnitine) a day.
- In the form of tablets, levocarnitine is swallowed (not absorbed) with plain water. Reception varies from 0.2 g to 0.5 g, acceptance – three times a day. One tablet is taken before sports activities.
- Swallow the capsule and rinse with a glass of clear water. Reception – 3 times a day, 1-2 capsules (for athletes – 1500 mg). The acceptance process lasts from 2 to 6 months. They drink for a month, then a 7-day break.
- Powder is a form known to athletes. They often make cocktails from it, so the preparation procedure is familiar to them. Dilute the powder in the amount of liquid specified in the instructions. They do not drink the drink in separate sips, like tea, but immediately.
Questions about individual doses are best resolved with a trainer or doctor. It must be remembered that L, carnitine for weight loss for people who only follow a diet, is a useless tool. It is not classified as a fat burner. Only systematic physical exercise and sports allow you to use this drug as a means of losing weight.